Nothing beats the scent of fried latkes filling your home during Hanukkah season! But, if you’re looking to switch things up and make a healthier version of this traditional dish, try out this Parsnip-Celery Root Latkes recipe. Not only is it lower in calories, but it’s also packed with nutrients from its star ingredients, parsnips and celery root. Keep reading to find out how to make this nutritious dish!
- 4 medium-sized parsnips
- 1 small celery root (celeriac)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Crème fraîche or sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Then, peel and shred the parsnips and celery root.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded vegetables with lightly beaten egg whites, flour, chopped chives, mustard, salt, ground pepper, and baking powder. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Next, heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook latkes until golden, which should take around 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Once the first batch is cooked, keep them warm in the oven while you repeat this process for more batches.
- When all your latkes are ready, serve them topped with crème fraîche or sour cream for garnish, and more chopped chives, if desired.
- Enjoy the crispy texture and delicious flavor!
Parsnips and Celery Root Health Benefits
- Loaded with fiber, which helps regulate bowel movement and prevents constipation.
- Contain several vitamins and minerals that aid in various bodily functions, such as vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium, and iron.
- Antioxidants found in both vegetables help prevent cell damage and lower the risk of chronic diseases.
This recipe is lower in calories than traditional latkes, making it a great option for those watching their weight or looking for a healthier Hanukkah dish. Moreover, the inclusion of whole-grain flour and extra-virgin olive oil contribute to better blood sugar control and heart health. Finally, the anti-inflammatory and digestive properties of these ingredients make this dish a great option for people with digestive issues or inflammation.
If you're looking for a healthier and more nutritious version of traditional latkes, parsnip-celery root latkes are an excellent option. Not only are they easy to make, but they are loaded with nutrients and offer numerous health benefits. Parsnips and celery root are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which help regulate bowel movements, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels, promote heart health, boost immune function, and prevent chronic diseases. Get ready to cook up a batch of delicious and nutritious parsnip-celery root latkes this Hanukkah!