Fall brings a lot of changes in our surroundings including the weather, the changing colors of the leaves, and the shift to heartier types of food. Whether you’re in the mood for something fresh and filling as a light lunch, or a nice side dish, a black bean salad is perfect for the season. Packed with nutrients and flavors, this dish is easy to make and perfect for your fall menu. In this blog post, we'll share with you a delicious and healthy fall recipe for black bean salad.
Black beans are high in protein and fiber, which helps you feel fuller for longer periods. They are also low in fat and contain plant-based nutrients that may reduce your risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer. This makes them the perfect ingredient for a healthy and delicious salad.
- 3 cans of black beans
- 1 cup of canned corn
- 1 orange, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped (keep the seeds for heat if you’d like, or remove them for mild flavor) or 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeño
- ½ teaspoon lime zest (from 1 lime, preferably organic)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime), to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
Optional garnishes: sliced avocado, crumbled feta, lime wedges
- To prepare the salad, start by draining and rinsing the black beans, then place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the canned corn, chopped bell pepper, quartered cherry tomatoes, and chopped red onion to the mixing bowl.
- Next, add the finely chopped fresh cilantro to the mixing bowl. If you like spicy dishes, you can add the chopped jalapeño to the mixing bowl as well. After doing all the preparations, toss the salad ingredients together.
- To create the salad dressing, mix the lime zest, lime juice, extra-virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, ground cumin, and salt in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss everything together until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours, or even better, overnight. Doing so helps all the flavors and textures meld beautifully together. You can serve the salad in individual servings, and add sliced avocado, crumbled feta, or lime wedges as garnishes.
With cooler weather here, try this delicious and healthy black bean salad recipe made with fresh vegetables, spices, and simple ingredients. Packed with protein and fiber, this salad is perfect for a light lunch or as a side dish for your fall menu. It’s easy to prepare, and best served chilled for optimal flavor. With its unique blend of flavors, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that is both healthy and filling. Give it a try!